Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Here and Home

As my time in Grenoble starts to come to it's end, I find myself more and more sentimental. It's a complex mix of thoughts and feelings.
I miss home.
I'm anxious about finals.
I'm ready to be done with classes.
I'm excited to go to Morocco.
I know I'm going to miss my life in Grenoble.

I made a list of the things I miss from home:
backrubs, easily expressing myself, my family, my other family (co-workers, friends, Sunday School, the CDC, etc), my sister's bridal preparations, working, Seattle University, simplicity, doing my own laundry.

At the same time I made a list of the things I'm going to miss from Grenoble:
Claire and the whole family, day-to-day use of French (I need to find French books to read over the summer), a cafe et chocolat after lunch, doing something different with my life, Samira (my prof), the kids I babysit here, public transportation, reading in the garden, comic books.

Some of the things in each of the lists are silly, and some are more profound. For example, who would miss doing the laundry?! but it's the independence which that simple act represents that I miss. And my French professeur, Samira: she is, hands down, one of, if not the best, professors from which I have had the pleasure of learning.

I have to say, the outlook of "This is where I'm going to live for the next five months." is much different from that of "This is where I have lived for the last five months." (Okay, at this point it's only been four, but that's still significant!)

In just over one month, I'll be back in Seattle. While I know things there will have changed, and I know that I will have changed, it's tempting to think that life will go back to "normal" - not that "normal" actually exists! But I think I would be denying myself these five months if I were to say that. In reality, I'm going back, but to a new life. After-all, every morning we awake to a new day and new opportunities, whether we take the time to realize it or not.

3 comments:

  1. My dearest Abby,
    It is true you will be changed, but things here at PRLC don't change too much or too fast--ever! You can take comfort in that! For example, I am only just now putting up the signage you made for the nursery so many many months ago; take it as a "sign" of how much we love you. That never changes, even if you do. In fact we are glad you are having such beautiful adventures. Sure, we have a card that says we're in the sanctuary and one that says we're in the fellowship hall... but I think I should make one card that says "when we see you next we'll all be a little wiser, a little more independent and a lot more courageous!" Normal, schnormal...
    Hang in there--enjoy every minute you have left! Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy! You'll be back in Seattle before you know what hit you... and then you'll start planning your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abby,

    I have so thoroughly enjoyed your entries -- thank you for sharing them with us! Each lovely, descriptive story of another new adventure brings back clear memories of my study-abroad experience in Germany, when I lived in the dormatories at the University of Kiel. I recall how torn I was when it was time for me to go home, about how much I missed my family, friends and familiar things, and yet how much I didn't want my learning experience and new friendships to end. And now you have email, cell phones and social media to keep you connected (how wonderful these advances in technology are!).

    Through language and travel, you have developed a new way to continue learning about yourself and the world. This process will not come to an end when you get back home; rather, it has enabled you to fuel your curiosity and help you set your compass for your next journey.

    May you savor your last few days in France and return home safely. I am looking forward to seeing you in Seattle for Katie's wedding!

    With love,
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  3. So there will definitely be things for you to do for the wedding when you get back. There are some things that just have to wait--you really aren't missing out on much, I promise!

    ReplyDelete