Haha! I figured out how to paste into blogger - I have to use the "edit html" window instead of the "compose" window. I'll see if I can use accent marks later.
Yesterday Paul took us to the Musee de la Resistance - a much more somber outing. I didn't bring my camera, and there weren't many good photo ops anyway, so there will be no pictures from this sortie.
The museum takes you through some of the history of the resistance, focusing on Grenoble. The role of France during World War II was very complicated, mostly because it was so fragmented. The northern part (near Germany and all along the Atlantic coast) was occupied by Nazi Germany. The southern "free territoy" was controled the French Vichy government and occupied by fascist Italy. Later on, near the end of the war, all of France would be under Nazi occupation. The two main groups of French people were the collaborators (Vichy government and supporters) and the resistance (underground fighters as well as people who refused to fight at all). Grenoble, located in Vichy controlled France, was a hotspot of the resistance movement.
One of the most striking images, for me, was at the very end of the exhibit. The was a column on which the words: liberte, fraternite, and egalite (the motto of France: liberty, fraternity, equality) scrolled though on a screen. This column rose up from a Nazi flag on the ground underneath. There were footprints all over the flag.
Afterwards, we did go out for a goute, but we dispersed to various cafes. I wound up going with Michelle and Chritian (the twins) to Pain & Cie. It is very open and cheery, an atmosphere which we welcomed after the somber museum.
Address for the museum's website: http://www.resistance-en-isere.com/mr/index/num/1/lan/1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment