Sunday, March 14, 2010

I can't say awkward in French, so I did in English.

I should be studying or something school related, of course, but I cannot quite bring myself to do anything so atrocious. Therefore I will do something almost as productive – blogging is almost as good as homework, right? Kids, don’t use that one on your parents or teachers, they would never forgive me!

As fearful of the awkwardness this weekend presented me, from Friday’s side of things, it was actually okay. My host parents were out of town, at a church retreat this weekend, leaving me with the other kids and no one specifically in charge of cooking. Claire thought that I’d be out of town with API – there’s a trip to Dijon for all the students, except those from Seattle since our SU profs didn’t think the trip was worth our money. She was not happy when she found out that she’d be leaving me here almost alone – I think for my sake. I feel like she would have consulted me about leaving beforehand if she’d known that I wasn’t going with the rest of API.

While it was kind of weird to be in the house with just the three kids Friday night and then just Rémi Saturday night, it was okay. The weekend was very mellow! We all kind of just did our own things, and figured out meals as they came – Claire left a list of options which we worked from.

And now, Claire and Pierre-Jacques are back. They are going to vote (local French elections) and pick up Marguerite from her friend’s house (this is where she spent last night/today). We’ll have a more normal dinner tonight, as a family around the big table in the salon. I won’t feel like the Mom checking the doors before bed, opening and shutting the shutters in response to the hour, and tidying up the kitchen after everyone else. Though I have to admit, that I enjoy taking care of people – there was something satisfying about putting away the teakettle and jam jars after everyone had eaten breakfast and left the kitchen.

Ahhh, someone is playing horrible American music! It’s probably Benoît since Rémi tends to play a mix of classical, Disney, and old French songs. Hmm, but I hear "Pirates of the Carribean," so either they're switching on me, or I really have a clue! I don’t know where Marguerite’s music tastes lay, her brothers usually dominate the computer and CD players. I myself tend towards a mix of show tunes, classic rock, and alternative. I added some French to my repertoire today – iTunes classifies most of the songs as French pop. Thierry Amiel, Amel Bent, Pascal Obispo, Patrick Fiori, et Dalida.

Also today, I talked to a former student of Paul’s and I’m going to have dinner with her and her family this Friday. The point is for me to meet the family, the three kids especially, so I can start babysitting. Kelly wants her French, American children to be exposed to as much English as possible, since they live in Grenoble and are surrounded daily by French! Paul got us in touch, and while it took me a while to get in touch with her (my fault, not hers!) I called her today, and we set up dinner! I’ve been a tad worried about money, and being able to earn a bit here and there will be a huge weigh lifted off my shoulders. But I don’t want anyone else worrying about me with regards to money – I’ll be fine! I’ve got it all worked out, it just stresses me out, like a lot of people!

Boy, I’m hungry for diner! Our déjeuner was a bit more simplistic, sparser than usual, due to the lack of a real Mom. I guess a plate of spaghetti pesto and a banana isn’t enough to last me from 1:30 until dinnertime around 8 (it’s almost 7:30 as I write this, but it won’t necessarily still be when I post it). I did eat an orange I had left over from lunch on Friday – I’m not supposed to eat in my room, but I was really careful not to make a mess and I’ll destroy the evidence by throwing the peels in a garbage can at school – “Crafty Cress!”

I hope everyone was able to cope with Daylight Savings Time this morning! We, here in France, won’t spring forward for another two weeks. Therefore, until March 28, Seattle is 8 hours ahead of France, instead of the normal 9. I was confused earlier, thinking it was a 10 hour difference, the whole time difference is confusing enough without switching it back and forth! Thank you to Katie for helping me figure out what's really going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment