Sunday, March 21, 2010

Meike

I couldn’t get enough of the weather this week – it was absolutely gorgeous, and warm! It was over 60˚F the better part of the week, and almost hit 70˚ - this translates to the upper Celsius degrees by the way. It clouded over this weekend, and was raining this morning, but it has remained warm. Perhaps we have in fact left winter behind!!! I realized today that next week is Palm Sunday, which means Easter is just right around the corner… The forsythia in the garden here in Grenoble is in full bloom, is our forsythia blooming before Easter too?Marguerite is studying German, and her school has a sister school in Germany. Each year the Germans studying French and vice versa partner up as correspondents, and do an exchange. Marguerite’s correspondent, Meike, is here for the week, and Marguerite will visit Meike’s home sometime in April. Since the first day was a bit rocky for all of the students, with regards to integrating between themselves, a few of the Moms who know each other have been organizing little events, this way some of the girls can be together and therefore feel more comfortable. Yesterday, I got to profit from all this! Claire took Marguerite, Meike, me, and my friend Adrian to the ice rink (patinoire) at Grand Place to meet up with two other correspondent pairs. It was a ball! I love ice-skating (patiner / faire du patinage), it was Adrian’s first time, and there were absolutely no tears involved, even when we fell on our backsides (though I’m proud to say I myself am not included in the general “we”).
I can’t help but place myself in Meike’s shoes: I was just like her when I was in 8th grade. It was my first international trip, and it was with Mme. Asman’s eighth grade French class. This is of course the same class with which my dear friend Samantha is about to leave for France. Kinda makes me feel old…

Looking back, I did not know French, and struggled through that family stay, all four days! BUT, some of my most vivid memories from that first trip to France are of my host family and my snapshot of their life. I grew from that experience, and look, here I am, in France, once again!

3 comments:

  1. Abby,
    We've had an early spring. The forsythia has been blooming for a couple of weeks now. I think it will be done by Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts on your experience in France as an 8th grader. I'm missing Sam very much right now, but I know she is having a wonderful time in France and is learning so much.

    As for the gorgeous weather - we too, are having lovely weather! I worked in the yard today for hours weeding around the tulips and daffodils that are all blooming too early! I thought I was smart to leave the doors of the house open to let some of that fresh air in the house and get that stale winter air out of the house, but now I'm battling flies. argh! Oh well...

    Samantha will be meeting her host family tomorrow (Thursday the 25th) and starting her 4 days with them. I have emailed with the mother and they don't speak much english in their house - Sam will definitely be using her French! (the little she knows!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my French family took me ice skating, too! France was AMAZING and I hope I get to go back :)

    Sam~

    ReplyDelete