Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Adjustments

It's been a few days since I've posted anything new, and it's because I've been busy. I haven't been busy doing anything in particular, mostly just trying to adjust to what will be my life for the next five months. It's been over a week now, but time has simply flown by! While it doesn't really seem like I got here just yesterday, I also don't feel like I've been here for all that long. (I guess I haven't really been here for a long time yet!)

The last week, I've been enjoying late mornings; taking my coffee and toast (cafe et tartines grilles) in the kitchen with Claire, after everyone has left the house. The tranquility of a quiet house and Claire’s warm nature make it easy to enjoy myself. However… starting Monday, I’ll have to start waking up earlier to get to my real classes – welcome to the real world! (Our class with Paul has been to prepare us for the placement exam. The idea is: the higher you place, the better students you’ll be with, the more you’ll learn.)

Everything is grey outside! The temperature has risen (had been -3, and now it’s +3) and the fog and rain have moved in. Look up: clouds. Look around: fog. Look down: slush. It’s worse than Seattle! The French word for slush, by the way, is neige fondue – melted snow. So creative the French!

I came straight home today, so I was a bit earlier than when I go with friends wandering or to a cafe after class. Since I had plenty of time before it got dark, and the family would expect me, I decided to walk instead of take the bus. (This is after taking the tram, which accounts for the better part of the distance between the University and home.) I timed myself between bus stops, for future reference: 4-5 minutes between, times three stops, for a total of 15 minutes, plus a few between the last stop and the front door. Not bad! I think I’ll do that again sometime, but for now I need to close the shutters.

1 comment:

  1. Abby,
    Glad to hear that you are settling in well, and sorry to hear that the weather there, has been so much like it has been here!
    It has rained so much lately that Grandma's crawl space flooded and shut down here gas furnace!
    I have seen deep water down there over the years, but this was twice as deep as before!
    I had Ladder 8 come over with a prosser pump and 150' of fire hose to discharge the water out to the street. That de-watering wrapped up about 1 AM Wednesday morning. 04:30 came pretty early yesterday...

    Hope to hear that you have done well on your placement test next week. I have the utmost confidence that you will do your best!

    Greetings to your host family from us. We are certain that you are being a gracious guest in their home.

    We are always glad to read your postings, so continue to squeeze in the time it takes to do so.

    Love,
    Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete